The role of a government vet is varied and rewarding, and we are always looking to recruit experienced professionals into the Civil Service. Opportunities include being on the ground, working with animals and keepers, carrying out research in animal welfare and public health, and informing future policy. Most new entrants typically have private-sector experience although roles are open to recent graduates as well. For some roles a postgraduate qualification is an advantage. Make sure you check out the job advert for details.
Here is a list of current veterinary job vacancies in the Civil Service. Click on the links to find out more. You may need to set up a username and password to access the details of each post.
- Veterinary Research Pathologist (Animal and Plant Health Agency): Closes 14 June 2021
- Veterinary Researcher in TSEs (Animal and Plant Health Agency): Closes 14 June 2021
- Senior Veterinary Officers (Animal and Plant Health Agency): Closes 16 June 2021
- Inspector - Animals in Science Regulation Unit (Home Office): Closes 18 June 2021
- Veterinary Officer (Ministry of Defence): Ongoing
For job alerts, sign up to Civil Service jobs website. Under job roles, select “Veterinary Services”.
You can find experiences from vets who have worked in these organisations, such the FSA, APHA and MoD as well as others, throughout the blog.